Department of Environment website: https://moa.gov.cy/moa/environment/environmentnew.nsf/index_en/index_en?OpenDocument
The Department of Environment, advises on environmental policy and coordinates programs for the environment. It supervises the implementation of policy and the adoption of European policy and legislation on the environment. Moreover, the department chairs of the Committee for Environmental Impact Assessment, promotes, among other things, the enforcement of laws relating to the Control of Pollution of Water and Management of Solid and Hazardous Waste and encourages environmental awareness and information.
It is also the administrative arm of the Environment Council. Moreover, it is the National Focal Point for the intergovernmental Organizations CSD, MCSD, SMAP, MAP, INFOTERRA and UNEP and the Treaties:
- on International Trade in Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna CITES,
- Bern for the Protection of Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna,
- Barcelona for the Protection of the Mediterranean,
- the Basel for the Cross-Border Transport of Hazardous Waste,
- the Vienna and Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer,
- Combating Desertification,
- Climate Change,
- Ramsar for the Protection of Wetlands,
- Transboundary Environmental Impact Assessment and
Aarhus for public access to information about the Environment.